Warm Spinach-Sweet Onion Dip with Country Ham
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 3 cups of thinly sliced sweet onion (2 medium onions)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 tsp)
- 1 cup diced country ham (about 6 oz)
- 2 pkg. (8 oz each) cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 4 ounces Parmesan cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 2 pkg. frozen chopped spinach (12 oz. each), thawed and well drained
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. crushed black pepper
- Dash of Texas Pete
- Pita chips
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook, stirring often, about 1 minute. Transfer onion mixture to a medium bowl and wipe skillet clean.
2. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon. oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add ham and cook, stirring often, until crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove ham from skillet and drain on paper towels.
3. Add all remaining ingredients, including ham, with the onion mixture in a bowl and stir until blended. Pour mixture in a 9x9 baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and smooth. Serve with Pita chips.